Saturday, June 1, 2013

My first homemades!

As you may have seen back in June of 2012, I posted an unfinished picture of my first homemade. I ended up finishing it a few days later, but I never got around to posting about it. I wanted to build a homemade, but I didn't want to use a clothespin trigger system as used in a SNAP, because I think they are flimsy and I just don't like the idea of a CPT. I also didn't have the advanced tools required to build something like a + bow. I was looking around for ideas for a while, but then I remembered SG Nerf's homemade (the R3L) from a couple years ago. (Link here) I then set out to build one.

He explains how everything works, but He doesn't give dimensions (besides a few sizes of metric pipe, which we can't get here in the U.S. Figuring out what dimensions of pipe to use was the hardest part. This post on Nerf Revolution helped me out a lot. It also gives instructions on how to build the catch. (I did a few things different in my version) Other than that, once you know how it works, it's not very difficult to build.
Here is a pic:




 The screws are all from my "random bin O' screws", so I can't tell you what kind they are. My second version actually has the same type of screws.
Also, the front coupler assembly is a 1/2"-3/4" bushing inside of a 3/4"- 1-1/4" bushing in a 1-1/4" coupler. These are all glued together, and just pressure fitted on to the front of the plunger tube. (The black marks are from trying to hit this assembly off with a Harbor Freight rubber mallet to maintain the plunger head.) The pressure fit is amazingly good, so I didn't have to fasten this piece on to the blaster at all.
Here are some close ups of the catch mechanism: (these are from the newer one I built in July 2012)

Side view of Trigger/ catch mechanism:
 Rest:
 Primed:
(there is a notch in the plunger rod that the catch ring gets pushed into)

 Here is a picture of the newer and cleaner one I just built. It operates a lot smoother, and performs a lot better. (Actually bought screws for this one)

I will update this post with more explanations and pictures if they are requested. I just don't want to give a complete tutorial because it would be extremely difficult and time consuming.

Several people have already asked for a parts list, but I lost my original one, and I'm too lazy to make a new one. My first one (with the random screws) is still in operation as of June 2013, but the second one had some mechanical failures that were not worth fixing. These blasters can work very well if made very precisely, but they do have some very weak points. It's also more difficult for us here in the states, because our PVC pipes don't nest perfectly together like the ones in Singapore where this design was developed. For this reason, I intend to build a RainBow in the next month. It may be difficult since I don't own a scroll saw or a drill press, but I feel like I am a fairly good machinist for the experience I have with homemades, and I hope it will work well.

As always, feel free to leave comments/ questions below!



















2 comments:

  1. Very nice what kind of spring is powering it and how good is the seal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mainspring is a K26. The seal in one of them isn't perfect, but the plunger still moves very slow when covering the coupler. (The pressure fitted coupler might be leaking air as well). The seal in the newer one is almost perfect.

      Delete