Monday, April 9, 2012

CPVC Breech Build Guide!

Here is how I built a simple CPVC breech. It wasn't very difficult or time consuming, but you need to take your time and test fit the pieces carefully for optimum performance. It gives a single shot blaster with a 1/2" PVC coupler a better rate of fire without sacraficing range.
Here is What you need:
1/2" CPVC Barrel (barrel length determined by blaster used), 1/2" PVC sheath (no specific lenth), 1/2" long piece of 1/2" CPVC stub, 5/8" OD O-Ring (not pictured or needed, but highly recommended)
First, Let's make the sheath. Using a 5/8" drill bit (spade bit not recommended because it makes the hole slightly too large), drill out the inside of the PVC.
Now, outline a breech hole large enough for your darts:
... cut it out, and file/sand the hole smooth
Glue your CPVC stub into the rear of the sheath (PVC cement/solvent weld recomended)
And glue in your O- Ring if you are using one
O-Ring Recomended for better seal
Now Dremel out the inside of your CPVC barrel so that darts can be pushed in easily
And you're done! I recomend attatching string/wire to your breech so that the barrel doesn't come out all of the way for faster loading.
breech open

breech closed
Breech in singled Nerf Big Bad Bow


I also recommend making a breech locking tab similar to one that SG Nerf uses in his brass breeches to prevent the barrel sliding forward during firing (SG Nerf's brass barrel slide breech tutorial):

 

10 comments:

  1. Nice guide, I'm considering making one similar to this, except a little more complicated but, in my opinion, more airtight using a coupler. nice work though! Have you ever heard of 3DBBQ style darts? Just wondering, because I feel like I'm the only one who uses them lol. Like these:

    http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21282&st=0&p=300464&hl=+3dbbq%20+dart&fromsearch=1&#entry300464

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: I have spent the past few days trying to make the 3DBBQ darts. I have calibrated them, and am now wrapping the wire. (BOOOOORING) But I will post when I'm done.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Do post a guide on that when you get around to it. I have seen that post on NH about the 3DBBQ darts, but they didn't interest me much. Do they work well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they work REALLY well because they are cheap, easy to make, and no glue/drying time involved. The only drawback is they take FOREVER to make. cutting blanks, cutting wire, wrapping wire, cutting tape, wrapping tape, ect. The main pro in my opinion is the padding, which you can have however much you want. They also feed fine in my hoe made wye hopper (but then again, it feeds stock streamlines lol). I won't get a tutorial on my style of breech in till about a week from now, but it will be up eventually.

      Delete
    2. Do you think you could do a tutorial on those if you make some more? I'm looking for some homemades that I can actually use in a war because I obviously can't use my glue domes...

      Delete
    3. Sure, it's really easy to make. Take about 7 inches of wire (or however heavy you want them to be), wrap it TIGHTLY around the foam, but not cutting or damaging it, then wrap with enough E-Tape to stick well. Slugs are good too, but I have problems finding felt pads 1/2" in diameter. 3DBBQ darts are pretty cheap and easy to make, while still having good results and are easy to calibrate (just alter the wire length. I'm out of foam ATM **sad face** because I used the majority making "crappy slugs" (exposed metal, small felt pad, exposed glue)

      Delete
    4. Wow I just realized I write A LOT lol

      Delete
    5. What kind of wire do you use? I think I'm going to try and make some in the future. I like the idea of a padded and easy to calibrate dart. (BB's don't calibrate well at all).

      Delete
    6. You are right about the BB's, glue domes are pretty inconsistent. As for the wire, any flexible and semi-heavy wire is fine. Try to get it as thin as possible while still being somewhat heavy. I don't know what wire I'm using, but I think I got it at a craft store. I think someone used "hanging wire" (thin, flexible, and somewhat heavy).

      Delete
  3. Cool. I think I'll make some next time I get some FBR

    ReplyDelete