Friday, June 8, 2012

Modified Air Zone Quadshot/ Tripleshot

The stock Air Zone Triple shot/ Quad shot is a terrible blaster in it's stock form. The darts barely shoot 2 feet (if they leave the barrels at all). But modifying this blaster makes it a very worthy NIC primary indeed...

I built this with the Intention of using it as a primary at my first NIC nerf war. It wasn't very difficult at all to mod, especially for how awesome it turned out to be.
Modifications done:
- Four 9" CPVC barrels
-Rear loading
-Dremeled out rear of barrels to ease rear loading
-Plunger tube to turret seal improval
-Raider spring added to stock spring
-Reinforced/ removed safety lock from catch
-Made raider stock compatible (using pvc attached inside shell and pvc coupler inside raider stock
-filled empty spaces with foam backer rod (to improve feel and dampen sound and vibration)

I improved the seal from the plunger tube to turret using the useless rubber piece on the end of the plunger rod. Others have done this and been able to retain the rotation mechanism, but mine no longer worked. After trying many other things, I gave up and now I have to manually rotate the turret.
Here is the blaster without the stock attachment:


With the stock attachment:
Close ups of the connections:


The section of PVC inside the shell has been attached with Super glue, liquid epoxy, hot glue, and has also been mechanically fastened on both sides of the shell with screws. I don't think It's going to go anywhere.
The coupler has been attached inside of the raider stock with hot glue. 

Ranges with very inconsistent padded darts that I use at wars:
Fired parallel-to-ground:
80-100 feet
Fired Angled-to-ground:
90-110 feet

Ranges with single BB hot glue domes:
Fired parallel-to-ground:
90-120 feet
Fired Angled-to-ground:
120-140 feet

So if you want an excellent primary that works great for almost no work at all, (and a very good price) GET AN AIR ZONE TRIPLE SHOT/QUAD SHOT NOW! :D

Please leave any comments/ questions below!
--
Note: I've stopped watermarking my photos because of how time consuming it is to do so. If you use any of my photos on your blog/ site/ whatever, please link to my blog and give me credit for them.

Also, please notice that I have updated the "About Foam Frenzy/ Contact" tab with a disclaimer.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I was able to fix my rotation with a little silicon lube and epoxying the rotation mech together. The white gear part to the turret where it originally was, just solid instead of being able to ratchet. And if you do this, for goodness sake, line up the gear part correctly! Also, note that after doing this, you can no longer manually rotate the turret, so it is a bit risky, but that's how I got mine working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried that and it didn't work. (I probably made a noob mistake somewhere)I've always been pretty crappy with turreted blasters :P

      Delete