Wednesday, June 6, 2012

3DBBQ Darts!

Here is the thread on NerfHaven about these: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21282

... And so I decided to make some. I went to Lowes and got some wire, and Made a calibration set.
Here is the brand of foam I use (I have an earlier post about this):
Here is how I made the darts.
First, Cut your blanks, and wrap the desired amount of wire TIGHTLY around the blank, leaving the desired amount of foam for padding at the tip:
Wrap the exposed wire in E- Tape TIGHTLY:

... And you're done!

Before you mass produce them, you will want to make a calibration set to determine the optimal amout of wire wraps so that the darts perform well in your modified blasters. I made a few darts with different amounts of wraps and determined which ones worked the best for me. (your results will vary depending on your materials)
Here is the wire I used:
Close Up:
Please comment with any questions/ tips that you have for making these!
I'm going to continue to pursue optimal performance with these darts.

--
Note: I've stopped watermarking my photos because of how time consuming it is to do so. If you use any of my photos on your blog/ site/ whatever, please link to my blog and give me credit for them.

Also, please notice that I have updated the "About Foam Frenzy/ Contact" tab with a disclaimer.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They work, but not as well as they could. I think they just need more weight. If I ever made these again, I would get a heavier wire. I don't really recomend them though because they are a pain to make, and the E- Tape is starting to fall off of mine, so they aren't very durable at all.

      Delete